Sept 26 - Strathcona Community League Forum
"As development pressure increases in central Edmonton, how will the role of community leagues evolve in a way that they contribute to the conversation in a positive way? And, how will the Ward 8 representative balance the opinions and needs of Old Strathcona and other central communities with the interests of the City of Edmonton, as a whole?
Candidates will answer these questions and more at the Strathcona Community Election Forum.
- What: Election Forum. All Ward 8 candidates have been invited.
- When: September 26, 7pm
- Where: Strathcona Community League Hall (10139 – 87 Avenue)
- How: The community will ask two prepared questions to the candidates and then open the floor for questions from the audience.
Come and get to know your options for Edmonton’s October 16 election!
The role of the community league has evolved over time from organizations that focused mostly on recreational and social events to being put in the position of being the voice of the community in regards to neighbourhood planning. Pressures of developments in mature neighbourhoods have moved leagues away from a collaborate ARP approach to having to take on an adversarial role in in order to have the community voice heard.
As a candidate who wants to represent our ward
- What do you believe is the purpose of community leagues?
- How do you propose to ensure there is a greater role for community leagues in public engagement?
- How do you propose to ensure community leagues voices are heard in all aspects of city planning when it affects our community?
- What do you believe are appropriate locations for high density infill in communities?
- How do you see mature neighbourhoods such as ours attract young families?
- What do you believe is the highest standard of public transit for our community?
- How do you propose to ensure the unique historic character of our community is maintained?"
10139 87 Ave NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 2P3
Google map and directions