Our lived experiences shape every decision we make. None of us are ever completely rational, and none of us have the whole picture.
We need leadership that can:
- *listen deeply to the experiences of others,
- *believe others when they share their experience (especially if it's different from ours),
- *recognize that we have blind spots, and have some humility when they are pointed out
- *seek out different perspectives and recognize and elevate leadership that shows up, even if it's not what we expected
- *give others credit, appreciate, recognize and amplify their contributions
No one group has a monopoly on these skills or doing this work, but representation matters. Reflecting the broad perspectives and experiences of our communities at decision making tables increases everyone's capacity for this kind of leadership and makes for much better decisions.Read more